Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My turn.


As if we haven't had enough this summer. That little nodule at the base of my ankle bone is supposed to be part the the bone above it. "It's a good brake, though" said the orthopedist. Three weeks in a boot. No surgery; no pins. Good news, I guess. But not convenient. I'm supposed to be working off baby weight, not sitting on my butt with my foot elevated. But, speaking of baby, at least I wasn't holding him when I went down.

So, how exactly did this happen? We stopped by to say happy birthday to a friend. There is a single awkward stair midway through her kitchen. I noticed it when I went "up" the step to put something in the sink and not 10 seconds later forgot about it when I went "down" the step. I fell so fast and so hard that I didn't even realize what had happened until I was on the floor. I assumed it was a sprain because, of course, that's what happens to normal people when they miss a step. By morning, though, I started to wonder. There was some swelling, but not as much as I thought there should be. However, the pain was intense. I called Danny to get his phone consultation. Since the pain was worst when I touched the bone and not the muscle, he recommended an x-ray. I went to the Ortho Center. Sure enough, broken.

It's just lovely.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

How did I not hear about this?

tenacious d said...

Oh dear!