James was ready for school this morning at 7:15 and asked about every 10 minutes when it would be time to go. We left the house at 8:20. Kate was awakened by the new alarm clock (purchased for that purpose) and, after laying back down in our bed for 15 minutes, finally started to get dressed. When she was ready at 8:00 (20 minutes early), she asked if that meant we could set the a little later for tomorrow.
When the bell rings, they line up and wait for their teacher to come and get them. Their teacher is Ms. Reinelt. She seems very, very nice and we've heard glowing reports from parents of students that were in her class last year. This is her second year teaching. To me, she looks like she's about 12 years old, but I think the reality is really that I'm older than I think I am. James quickly lined up near the front. Kate cautiously lined up at the end and wanted me to go in with her. She was brave though, and did great by herself.
I took Kate and James on a special date this week. James on Monday and Kate on Tuesday.
James and I went to Jamba Juice and then went shopping for a shirt to wear on the first day of school. I asked him what he was most excited for about school. He said: recess, lunch, the other recess, getting picked-up and the exercise thing (PE).
Kate chose getting a soft pretzel. She also got a mani/pedi (because that's what the only girl gets to do occasionally) and chose a new shirt. Kate's response to what she's excited about was: recess, playing with Israel (a friend from last year's class who is in the half-day kindergarten), making new friends, and the teacher being nice.
Neither mentioned, reading, math, science, or anything else related to academics. I guess that really not what kindergarten is about anyway.
3 comments:
It's fun to look at all of the kids' expressions and guess who is a little bit ampy (the kid to James' left), anxious (the little girl to Kate's left), etc.
I love the idea about the special date...love the photos
they're so lucky to have each other.
and i love their bags! such a great alternative to the obnoxious (always too-big) backpack (which is inevitably plastered with some character)
Post a Comment