For you cruise lovers out there, please don't be offended by our post-cruise opinions. To sum things up, we all got bored. Kate and James didn't care for the daycare program; we don't gamble, we don't drink; Ben doesn't participate in hairy chest contests; we don't sunbathe; we don't swim in unheated pools; we couldn't read books while entertaining two-year-olds; a few hours at a port wasn't nearly enough time to us to even feel like we had been to a new city (Ben likened it to a long layover at an airport in a cool city); and, as Ben put it, I "locked him in a Chuck-a-Rama for five days."
Nonetheless, we had a fantastic vacation! It was fun (but exhausting!) to be with James and Kate for 10 whole no-work days. They loved nearly every part of the vacation, which included: packing and pulling their own suit cases; flying on an airplane; riding in multiple taxis (they have no problem recognizing them now, see here); going to Sea World; staying in a hotel; being on a "really big boat"; going to the beach in Cabo, Mexico; a short excursion in Ensenada, Mexico; staying with Aunt Sherri, Uncle Sam, Baby Daniel, and Lucie in California; going to Disneyland; and going to the beach in California.
Below are a few, okay, several, pictures of our adventures.
James was so excited to have his own suitcase. He saw it in the car a few days before we left on vacation and insisted that he have it immediately. He dragged it around on the driveway and in the house until the time finally came to pack his clothes in it and leave for vacation. He never let it out of his sight at the airport (how responsible) and always kept track of where it was in the car, hotel, or ship.
Kate with her Elmo suitcase. She also liked having her own suitcase, but isn't quite as obsessed with the notion as James. And, she was more than willing to let Mom or Dad carry it most of the time.
The end of a fun day at Sea world. Ben made sure we sat in the Splash Zone for both the dolphin and whale shows. The kids loved having the animals get them wet and asked for more when each show ended.
James was the only one willing to play in the cold water of the pool. He loved it. He even picked a water fight with two kids twice his age. They went easy on him.
Kate preferred to relax in the sun next to me.
Beach play with our ship, the Elation, in the background.
Ben spent the afternoon helping James and Kate dig holes, castles, mountains, etc. in the sand. I loved watching them play from my beach chair in the shade of an umbrella.
Ben and James spent a little time in the water.
Kate and James loved playing on the beach. They could have spent our entire vacation just playing in the sand.
Kate busy at work.
James lounging after some hard work in the sun.
A little pause for some kid time during our port excursion in Ensenada, Mexico.
Kate has become quite a ham. James likes to say she's "such a tease." This picture offers a glimpse of how she made us laugh each day on our vacation.
Kate and Pluto. Kate loved meeting all the Disney characters. She gave each she met a big hug.
Kate and Donald Duck.
Kate and Mickey.
James loved to look at the characters, but when it came time to actually get close and pose with one, no thank you. This is the best we got of him with Mickey.
James aboard Dumbo with Aunt Sherri and Cousin Daniel.
Such a cutie!
The end of a very long, but fun day at the Happiest Place on Earth. This is the only picture (of ten) where neither James nor Kate is picking their nose.
The beach on Balboa Island, California. They are STANDING under all that sand.
The Sand Master modeling his creation.
Our gracious California hosts (Uncle Sam, Aunt Sherri, Baby Daniel, and their dog Lucie (not pictured)).
Uncle Sam reading a Czech bedtime story to Kate. So cute!
12 comments:
i love family vacation! it looks like you had a great time - the pics of the kids with the disney characters are hilarious...kate is obviously elated, and james' apprehension is more than understandable (i feel the same way about oversized mice). they are growing up so much...we miss you all.
hey this is Alyssa, I've been checking in on your blog since your Christmas card but I don't think I've actually left a comment . . . but I had to here because I believe I went on this exact cruise over spring break as a 3L and although I did not describe it quite as well as Ben, I feel EXACTLY the same! I felt trapped and stuck on the boat and hated the food so yes, it was like getting locked in a Chuck-a-Rama for 5 days!
It looks like you still had a good time and the pics are great. I hope all is well and Utah life is treating you right!
Hey! I was anxious to hear how it went--but it sounds like you won't be doing another cruise anytime soon. haha. Chuck-A-Rama is cheaper! I love the pictures though! Kate and James are so cute and it looks like they are having a blast! Welcome back!
I have never wanted to go on a cruise, for much the same reasons as you. All of the exercise classes and wave pools and climbing walls are no substitute for getting out and doing the real thing. "Locked in Chuck-a-Rama" is a great description of what I picture the experience to be.
Now you can say you've been on a cruise, and you never have to take one again.
I can think of another cruise that you might have liked better-to Turkey. No kids on this one, but R & R galore and real visiting time on each island. We will miss you.
looks like you guys had a great trip! Tara's right - you should come to Turkey!
Sound like you all had fun regardless of the cruise. Cute Photos.
So fun! I'm jealous that you guys went to Disneyland. I love that place.
You had me completely talked out of a cruise until I looked at the pictures which made it look like so much fun!
I'm glad that you found some fun in the experience and that you all had some time together- it looks like a great time, despite the poor cruise review!
Yeah, we're not cruisies either. Try the Caribbean next time! It doesn't disappoint!
Looks like quite an adventure! Wish we had known you were in our gret stet of Kalifohnia we would have stalked you! Tara and Nic are right--we're pretty sure you wouldn't find a Johnston cruise as boring.
Post a Comment