Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kindergarten pictures


Kate and James have been in kindergarten and the University of Utah this year. They'll repeat kindergarten in public school starting in the Fall, but got a head start because of their late birthdays and readiness for more than preschool. They have been loving their school. It's a very social, kid-directed environment.

After opening circle time (singing, weather, calendar, job chart and some small talk) they have math and literacy centers. There are about six or seven small tables in the room and up to four kids can sit at any one table. They choose a game or other activity that involves letters, reading, counting, or logic in some fashion and play for about 20-25 minutes. I don't think they really know all the learning that takes place during the play.

They re-group for some joint work. This year they have discussed animals, plants, written plays, and other topical activities that last a couple of weeks each. Then they go outside to play for about 15 minutes. James uses this time to play "superheros" with the same group of 4 or 5 boys and one girl. Kate spends time on the tire swing and playing tag.

After getting some energy during recess, they go back to the classroom for a song or poem before heading to a center of their choice once again. This time the center activities teach other subject matters, such as science, art, drama, sensory, writing, puzzles, etc. Again, the kids see this more as play than as learning.

It's been a year of lots of social and academic development for each of them and it's been fun for me to watch it happen. They are always so happy at pick-up time and excited to show me something they did that day. It will be sad next year when they aren't two buildings away from me at work and I don't get to pick them up nearly every school day.

And, of course, the tradition of yearly school pictures lives on and we received ours a few weeks back. Take a look at my happy kindergarteners. (Not sure why Kate's pictures uploaded slightly bigger than James'?)

5 comments:

tenacious d said...

Gone are the days of classes with three Davids, four Marks and a couple of Johns.

I love that Kate is "Katherine McAdams".

Ashlee said...

SO adorable! I can't believe they're that old already! Ben is doing an awesome job in the senate!

TnD said...

Claire starts Kindergarten next year too. The cut off date here is December and since Claire is a T-Day baby (like I need to remind you since I was in labor at your apt.) she just will make it. How fun our kids will be in the same grade.

Leslie said...

How Sweet!!! They're growing up so fast!!!!

Nancy said...

So cute. I can't believe they're in kindergarten. We'll have to talk sometime about what kindergarten readiness means, I have no clue.But I have a few years still to learn.