Natalie called me at work and said she thought Robert needed stitches. I drove home wondering if was really so. One look at the open wound and I realized there was no question. We loaded into the van and headed to the ER.
Robert was a trooper at the hospital. I opted for the lesser of the two sedation options. Robert barely winced during any portion of the treatment. The nurse practicianer, who did the stitches, said she wasn't sure he needed anything at all. She kept asking me if he was always so tough and letting me know that any other kid would be resisting and crying. I guess we've got a tough guy on our hands.
As if stitches aren't bad enough, during the intake routine, as the nurse was listening to Robert's heart, she asked me if I knew he had a heart murmur. Uh, no. The doctor confirmed the murmur. They ordered an EKG and the murmur showed up on that too. They ordered an x-ray. Then told me to follow-up with the cardiology clinic. Then they told me not to worry. Right. If I read between the lines correctly, I think the most troubling aspect for the doctor was that the murmur had never been detected before. She wasn't suggesting that it had been missed in all the well-check visits or a prior visit to the ER, rather that the murmur was new and he hadn't been sick or had a fever recently. We have an appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow morning. I'm worried.
Here's our little guy just after arrival at the ER. They put some gauze over the wound with some numbing medicine on it. Robert was quite fond of the cars bandage wrapped around his head.
1 comment:
He looks like Rambo in the last photo. So, what was the result of the visit to the cardiologist?
Post a Comment