Sunday, January 25, 2009

spiders and play-doh

I'm teaching the Sunbeam class in Primary at church this year. The first week, the five three-year-olds chewed me up and spit me out. I lost one kid when we were getting a drink and pretty much failed at all tasks involved. With a little advice from Laurel (thanks!), a friend who is teaching the same class in her ward in California, things are much improved. (I find it ironic that my fabulous advice came from someone with no kids when I, in dire need of the advice, have two kids in the class.)

I'm sure there will be many stories in the coming months. Here's one from today: In Sharing Time, the teacher was talking about taking care of our bodies. After a run down of all the healthy things we should eat, she asked the kids, "What are some things we should not put into our bodies?" The older kids mentioned drugs, smoking, etc. One kid in my class said, "Don't eat spiders." After that, James blurted out, "And don't eat play-doh!" Much more interesting, and at this point in their lives, more applicable, answers. Way to know your stuff little ones!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Don't worry Julie, it will get better and those sunbeams will love you. As for James comments, it's cute and true! We shouldn't eat play-doh! Also Congrats on your new calling!

Sherri said...

You have yourself a smart kid there!

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

No eating spiders: here, here! Fo' shizzy. Thanks for the shout out on the blog! (And the second I have childrens you KNOW I'll be calling you 24 hours a day for advice, ps) I'm glad things are going better w/Sunbeams. I had 7, yes SEVEN, little ones in my class on Sunday and all was going well until 3 of them had to go potty... Um... Isn't it against some kind of child safety law to leave four 3-yr-olds alone in a room while I take 3 of them to the potty? Don't tell anyone. I put one of them in charge and told them to play the "reverence star game" where they take turns finding a "hidden" star somewhere in the room... Yeah. What was I thinking?! As I was in the bathroom with the three little ones, my mind started racing and suddenly I'm having this vision that I'd go back to an empty classroom and have to try to explain to frantic parents that I lost their kids when I left them alone for what seemed like 17 years... Never again! If anyone needs a potty break in the future I'm grabbing someone in the hall to keep an eye on the "reverence star" players. Thankfully I came back to a room of kids actually playing reverence star as I had mentioned that doing so would earn a treat point. Those treat points are magic.

Becki said...

Sunbeams are always good for a laugh! That is so cute. How fun to be able to teach James and Kate's class.