Thursday, February 2, 2012
Winter
It's been a while since I last posted. Normally, that means I've got several photos and lots of commentary just waiting to be added to the blog. Not this time. It's the legislative session. And it's winter in Utah. And I have four children. And I have a full-time job. And I I've been sick with what I finally figured out was a sinus infection and not just a really, really bad cold.
So, no photos waiting in the wings and not a lot to write about - unless I wanted to try to post all of the news stories that have mentioned and/or quoted Ben in the last few weeks. Now, before I go on talking about how much I have to do, let's give a nod to a truly busy person. I'm not going to try to post all of the stories. I'd miss several, and many of them report on the same stuff so it would be boring as well. However, try Googling "Ben McAdams" along with the words "securities fraud" or "anti-discrimination" or "payday lending" or "education" or "County Mayor" and just see what all comes up.
I will provide one link, though, because it's to the Economist. And, well, that's really, really cool. Here's the link: http://www.economist.com/node/21543526; and here's the paragraph mentioning Ben's work: "A new law in Utah increased penalties for fraudsters who abuse a relationship of trust. Another pays whistle-blowers up to 30% of recoveries. (The SEC operates a similar scheme, but only for cases larger than $1m.) Both bills were sponsored by Ben McAdams, a state senator who returned to his native Utah from New York to help ensure that 'as much energy went into shrinking the fraud economy as growing the ski economy.' In Utah, suspected fraudsters’ property can be seized before charges are brought, if there is 'probable cause' that a crime was committed."
So, what have the rest of us been up to? We've all had a cold, which developed into a sinus infection for me and for Kate. I owe a debt of gratitude to my assistant at work who diagnosed the infection. Without her and Amoxicillin I'd still be cursing the fact that I just can't seem to get over this head cold. While I'm still not 100%, it's very nice to be breathing through my nose again!
Kate, James and Robert are taking a gymnastics class at the UofU on Wednesdays. They love it. But, they are my kids, so they are not very good at it. I'm not telling them, though. They haven't seemed to notice their comparative lack of flexibility, balance, or ability to get their feet further off the ground than their elbows while attempting a cartwheel. I'll keep them in the class until they come to realize their genetic limitations. Until then, it's great exercise and they are having fun.
We rarely go outside. It's cold. Snow has been scarce and I'm good with that because it means I haven't has to shovel the driveway much. I'm feeling guilty though because I refused to go out and play with James the two times is has snowed at our house - despite his requests. However, I promised him a snowball fight the next time we get appreciable snowfall, so I'll try to remedy my lack of enthusiasm a bit.
So, at the close of this "random thoughts" post, I wish you a happy Groundhog Day! The rodent saw his shadow this morning so here's to six more weeks of winter and a chance to brave the cold and actually do something worth writing a post about!!!
So, no photos waiting in the wings and not a lot to write about - unless I wanted to try to post all of the news stories that have mentioned and/or quoted Ben in the last few weeks. Now, before I go on talking about how much I have to do, let's give a nod to a truly busy person. I'm not going to try to post all of the stories. I'd miss several, and many of them report on the same stuff so it would be boring as well. However, try Googling "Ben McAdams" along with the words "securities fraud" or "anti-discrimination" or "payday lending" or "education" or "County Mayor" and just see what all comes up.
I will provide one link, though, because it's to the Economist. And, well, that's really, really cool. Here's the link: http://www.economist.com/node/21543526; and here's the paragraph mentioning Ben's work: "A new law in Utah increased penalties for fraudsters who abuse a relationship of trust. Another pays whistle-blowers up to 30% of recoveries. (The SEC operates a similar scheme, but only for cases larger than $1m.) Both bills were sponsored by Ben McAdams, a state senator who returned to his native Utah from New York to help ensure that 'as much energy went into shrinking the fraud economy as growing the ski economy.' In Utah, suspected fraudsters’ property can be seized before charges are brought, if there is 'probable cause' that a crime was committed."
So, what have the rest of us been up to? We've all had a cold, which developed into a sinus infection for me and for Kate. I owe a debt of gratitude to my assistant at work who diagnosed the infection. Without her and Amoxicillin I'd still be cursing the fact that I just can't seem to get over this head cold. While I'm still not 100%, it's very nice to be breathing through my nose again!
Kate, James and Robert are taking a gymnastics class at the UofU on Wednesdays. They love it. But, they are my kids, so they are not very good at it. I'm not telling them, though. They haven't seemed to notice their comparative lack of flexibility, balance, or ability to get their feet further off the ground than their elbows while attempting a cartwheel. I'll keep them in the class until they come to realize their genetic limitations. Until then, it's great exercise and they are having fun.
We rarely go outside. It's cold. Snow has been scarce and I'm good with that because it means I haven't has to shovel the driveway much. I'm feeling guilty though because I refused to go out and play with James the two times is has snowed at our house - despite his requests. However, I promised him a snowball fight the next time we get appreciable snowfall, so I'll try to remedy my lack of enthusiasm a bit.
So, at the close of this "random thoughts" post, I wish you a happy Groundhog Day! The rodent saw his shadow this morning so here's to six more weeks of winter and a chance to brave the cold and actually do something worth writing a post about!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I saw that article in the economist and thought of you guys. :) I've seen his name mentioned in a few other articles I've read.. not sure where they were.. Wall Street journal maybe? Anyway. Sorry to hear you have been ill, but glad to hear things are looking up for you.
Nice to hear an update. Hang in there. We're thinking of you!
Post a Comment