Sunday, October 9, 2011
Snowbird without Isaac
For the Snowbird birthday sleepover, we took my mom up on her offer to keep Isaac overnight. The hand-off took place after Kate and James finished their soccer game on Saturday around 1:00 p.m. As I put Isaac's car seat in my mom's car, I realized that, while a good idea in a practical sense, I was really going to miss the little guy. I explained it to my mom that it felt as if I was cutting off one of my arms. Our family of five that was so normal just three months ago is notably incomplete now without Isaac.
This realization was a welcomed reassurance to a fear I've had for the past several months. When Sherri, Mom and I were on our trip in Branson, Sherri had little Vera along. On a few occasions I wondered what was taking Sherri so long to get in or out of the car, only to be surprised when she reminded me that she was assisting Vera. I'd completely forgotten that Vera was with us. From then on I've been frightened that, when my new one arrived, I might forget he was there - at home, in the car, or while we were out. Not so. We are a family of 6 now and Isaac will not be forgotten.
But, he will be left in the loving, caring hands of Grandma again. It was practical while at Snowbird and it will be practical again in December when we go to San Diego for a few days. I just don't think Isaac will care much for Legoland or Sea World just yet. He'll be happier sticking to his routine. While I know we will miss him dearly (miss him just thinking about it!), it will be easier for Ben and me to make the most of our time with Kate, James & Robert.
This realization was a welcomed reassurance to a fear I've had for the past several months. When Sherri, Mom and I were on our trip in Branson, Sherri had little Vera along. On a few occasions I wondered what was taking Sherri so long to get in or out of the car, only to be surprised when she reminded me that she was assisting Vera. I'd completely forgotten that Vera was with us. From then on I've been frightened that, when my new one arrived, I might forget he was there - at home, in the car, or while we were out. Not so. We are a family of 6 now and Isaac will not be forgotten.
But, he will be left in the loving, caring hands of Grandma again. It was practical while at Snowbird and it will be practical again in December when we go to San Diego for a few days. I just don't think Isaac will care much for Legoland or Sea World just yet. He'll be happier sticking to his routine. While I know we will miss him dearly (miss him just thinking about it!), it will be easier for Ben and me to make the most of our time with Kate, James & Robert.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You're coming to SD in December! Yay! Call me and I'll try to meet up with you somewhere (which is more practical than thinking that we'd be able to swing a dinner-with-the-Briccos).
I'm glad you haven't forgotten him. It's funny how they almost just become an attachment you feel naked without.
Post a Comment