Sunday, September 26, 2010

San Francisco

I returned late Tuesday night from San Francisco. I spent six days with Becky, one of my high school girlfriend's, and another, Kendalyn, joined us for two days in the middle. Forgive me for posting a boatload of pictures, but you don't have to look at them if you don't want too. (And, just so you know, there are dozens that didn't make the post.) It's amazing how much you can do/see in six days when you don't need to factor in time for getting kids up & dressed, out the door, snack breaks, nap breaks, travel breaks, etc., etc., etc.

Years ago, I spent a few hours in SF. I only remember Lombard Street and Chinatown. For all intents and purposes, this was my first visit to San Fran. For some reason, I expected SF to be a lot like NY. It's not. Some similarities, yes, but a very different city indeed. I fell in love with SF. I loved the variety and uniqueness of the architecture, the obvious appreciation for and commitment to preserving the city's past (loved the historic street cars on the F Line and the world's only operating cable cars), the color and diversity of the people, the food, how easy it was to get around, and much, much more. I can't wait to return.

(Near our hotel)


Day 1. Left family and all work and family responsibilities behind and headed for airport. Felt guilty, but not so guilty I didn't board the plane at 11:00 a.m. Enjoyed a quiet, kid-free flight. Took the BART from the airport to Powell Street, F train to Fisherman's Wharf. Checked in to the Holiday Inn. Fabulous dinner at Lemongrass, a lovely Thai restaurant about a 15-minute walk from the hotel.

Day 2. Foggy. Tried to visit the Palace of Fine Arts, but it was fenced off for construction. Walked to Crissy Fields for panoramic view of the Golden Gate Bridge, but there was too much fog to see the bridge. Bussed it to Golden Gate Park and walked around for a couple of hours. Visited the lovely Japanese Tea Garden and took a few picture of spider webs because the moisture from the fog made them show up so well. Window-shopped on Haight Street. Loved the vintage shops and marveled at the crazy items for sale at Loved to Death. If you're ever in the market for dried up alligator claws, sheep eyeballs in formaldehyde or some Masonic cuff links, you'll know where to find them. Bussed it to Delores Park in the Mission District to check out the neighborhood, a pirate supply store (not as cool as the description we were given) and to eat some salted caramel ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery. Tasted the salted caramel ice cream, but purchased an ice cream sundae instead. Shopped in and around Union Square, checked out the symphony house, opera house, and other city buildings. Went back to the hotel exhausted, but happy.





Day 3. Ate a yummy breakfast scramble in a sourdough bread bowl at Boudin Bakery. Visited the Farmer’s Market at the Ferry Building as well as the Arts & Crafts portion across the street. Ate delicious peaches and tomatoes and purchased a cool stone necklace. Saw Dream Girls at the Curran. Shopped at DSW (bought some awesome boots on an impulse because they were a good deal!) Walked through a bit of Chinatown. Ate yummy gnocchi and gelato in North Beach. Went back to the hotel tired and satisfied.


(Farmer's Market)

(Bay Bridge in the background)
(Gate to Chinatown in the background)


Day 4. Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge. In the fog. Wandered around Pier 39 and ate a scrumptious strawberry, banana, Nutella crepe for lunch. Went to see City Lights, a Charlie Chaplin film, in the historic art deco theater. Loved this experience! Perhaps the highlight of the trip for me. Perfect show to see in the beautifully preserved 1920’s theater in a crazy neighborhood in a city that quickly became one of my favorites. Forgive all the pictures of the theater, but, seriously, it is very, very cool! Relaxed with a Thai massage at a spa around the corner from our hotel. Went back to the hotel relaxed and happy.








Day 5. Rented a bike at Pier 39 and biked to through Crissy Field for that panoramic view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Saw the tops of the towers and thick fog beneath. Biked across the bridge to Sausalito. Ate the coolest meal ever at Avatar’s. It’s billed as an Indian restaurant, but known for its “ethnic confusion”. We ate pumpkin curry enchiladas. Wow. Awesome. Dessert was frozen yogurt with pistachios and marzipan on top and mango and rose syrup beneath. Wow. I would return to San Francisco just to take Ben to this restaurant. Road the bike to Mill Valley to see super tall redwood trees and then trekked back to the lovely Sausalito to catch the ferry back to San Fran where we finally caught a fog-free view of the GGB and snapped a windy photo. Hiked to Coit Tower. Crashed a “regulars” private party at Tomasso’s and ate some of the best. pizza. ever. (Thanks for the recommendation, Laurel!) Interrupted the walk back to the hotel with a stop at Melt for some chocolate fondue. Finished the day with another Thai massage. Returned to the hotel relaxed, full and happy.



(maintenance workers?)
(the owner of Avatar's and his kitchen)


(GGB in the way, way back. View from the ferry.)

(Sure, I'm a Tomasso's regular. Thanks for the basil pizza!)


Day 6. Went to Boudin bakery to buy a turtle shaped sourdough loaf to bring home to the kids I was sorely missing by this time. Fast tours through Nob Hill and Russian Hill. Stops included: Lombard Street (crookedest), Filbert Street (steepest), the Flag House (survived the 1906 earthquake and subsequent fire that demolished everything around it), Ina Coolbrith Park (poet, niece of Joseph Smith, and the park was the residence of dozens of parrots on the day we visited), the Vallejo Steps (slightly disappointing), Macondray Lane (Edwardian homes), the Cable Car Museum, the Fairmont Hotel, the Intercontinental Hotel and Top of the Mark Restaurant, and finished off with Grace Cathedral. Whew! Went back to the hotel to collect our bags and return to the airport the way we came. Relaxed on a flight while listening to other people’s kids wailing on the plane. Finally arrived at my own home long after my kids had gone to sleep. I scooped Robert out of his crib and brought him to bed with me. Ben left the same morning to DC and then Providence RI for a couple of work conferences. He returns late Monday night. I’m missing him still.



Day 7. Home. Woke up bright and early with three kids I was very excited to see (and who were very excited to see me). They loved the sourdough turtle as well as a couple of other trinkets I brought home for them. You can see Robert's owl on the table behind James. Kate got a small stuffed pony she named Horsey and James got a frisbee. (Mom, I know the trinkets aren't unique to SF, but they were hits and will be more enjoyed than a t-shirt at this time in their young lives. Sorry.)

3 comments:

tenacious d said...

Really? You have never been to San Fran before this? Well, you certainly made up for it. What an awesome trip! It makes me want to hop on a plane and visit for the weekend. If I had to live in a city again (as opposed to suburbs), I would choose SF.

Sherri said...

I love SF too! I'll meet you there anytime. With or w/out this kiddos.

Nancy said...

AHHHHHHHH i just saw this post and it made my heart hurt! I love SF! What a great trip!