Monday, May 31, 2010

A long and enjoyable day out.

The day began at 8:00 a.m. and, now, at 8:39 p.m., two of three kids are sleeping soundly. I hope that Kate will give in to fatigue before I finish this post.

We joined our friends, the Parkes, for "A Day Out with Thomas" at the Heber Valley Railroad. Ben and I met the Parkes in New York about six years ago after they both graduated from Harvard Law and moved to NYC for work. Gigi just started working in my office and I'm so glad to have her there. She and Mat have been living in Moscow, Russia for about the past year. Mat is still living on the other side of the Atlantic finishing up some work, but surprised his family this week by deciding to come out earlier than expected for a visit.

A Day Out with Thomas included a few fun activities, cotton candy, and a ride on Thomas. We arrived on the early side and enjoyed perfect temperature, short lines, and a minimal crowd. We grabbed a quick lunch and raspberry shake at Granny's in Heber City. From Granny's, we sought out a nearby fishing spot and found one at Vivian Park in Provo Canyon. As James likes to say, "It was a lucky day for fishing." James and Kate each caught one fish and Chloe Parke caught two.

After fishing, we headed to Ben's sister's house for a family BBQ. Our two fish followed the burgers and hot dogs on the grill. James and Kate were very excited to eat their catch. Kate ate most of one fish herself. James shared with Robert and Dad. I'm not a fish eater, but because I want my kids to like it, I joyfully took a bite too. It wasn't bad.

(I forgot my camera this morning, but luckily had my iPhone along as a back-up. Not the greatest photos, but they get the job done.)

And, finally, Kate is also sleeping soundly. My turn.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

We have done the "Thomas Activity" before and it was great fun for the kiddies...how fun you have good friends working with you!