
Ben and James went to out church's annual Fathers & Sons camp-out on Friday night. They began their fun with a fishing attempt at the Weber River. As James reported to some newcomers on his way out, "Hey guys, it's not a lucky day for fishing today!"
Thankfully, their luck changed when it came time pitch a tent. The weather was not goo. Rain and snow. The property where they were camping included a large cabin where the campers could take refuge from the bad weather. No soggy tents for these campers!
The boys gave the fishing one more try on Saturday morning. This time (at a stocked pond) James caught a big one. He was so pleased. Just check out his smile in the picture below. Then check out the surprise on his face when he tried holding the fish himself and it flipped out of his hands.


On a side note, Kate struggled the entire week leading up to the Fathers & Sons with the fact that she was not invited and that no amount of talking was going to get her on the trip. Even the princess party, which was, of course, ultimately a huge success, didn't make her feel any differently about not going fishing and camping with the boys. And, let's just add that, at frequent intervals during the week, James had no qualms about reminding Kate that she was not coming to the Fathers & Sons. On Friday night, I told Kate that the boys didn't catch any fish that afternoon. I sort of hoped it would make her feel less bad about missing out. As I said prayers with her that night, she prayed that the boys would get lucky fishing the next day and catch a fish. She's such a sweetheart. Even though she was devastated that she didn't go fishing, she still hoped James would have a good time and catch a fish. I
texted Ben about the prayer, which may have been why he decided to take James fishing again on Saturday. How could he tell Kate they didn't even try? Anyway, Ben told James about Kate's prayer. Both James and Kate attribute some of James' success to Kate's prayer. Sadly, I'm more cynical than that, but I am very touched by the love that Kate showed toward James at a time that was quite hard for her personally, and I think the fact that Kate and James believe the prayer made a difference is very, very cute.
5 comments:
Kate is such a sweetheart...I think it's unfair too! What a great Fish they caught and enforce their belief in prayer!
That is so sweet of her to be thinking of her brother. Don't be so cynical about the fish! :)
Love those two! That is a sweet story. Glad for both of them that James caught a fish!
7/8/10: The other day, out of the blue, James said, "I want to have a kid when I'm big so I can take that boy to the Fathers & Sons." This annual outing is clearly a highlight of James' year and is going a long way to establish a close bond with his dad and create long-lasting memories he already wants to pass on to his son. Life can be such a beautiful thing.
Post a Comment