After 3 hours in the E.R., my suspicion/fear was, unfortunately, confirmed. The doctor came in the room and said, "So, this is the mutton buster, huh?" He asked for the story, which he had obviously already heard from the nurse. After I finished, he said, "Well, it's good you came in. It's busted." A proximal humerus fracture. James and I listened as the doctor explained that a sling was the best treatment . . . kids bones heal quickly and well . . . can't splint this break . . . he should try not to use it much for a couple of weeks . . . don't let it get injured again . . . etc.
After the doctor left, I looked at James and said, "So sorry your arm is broken, Buddy." He looked at me and asked, as an emotional flood of tears, confusion, & fear set in, "Why is my bone broken?" In my head I was thinking, "Well, because your parents are stupid and lack judgment." (Ben is still hoping they will, and encouraging them to, participate again next year!) I tried explaining that his arm would get better. For him, though, the shock got worse when a nurse came in and put the sling on, bolstered with extra stabilizing support from a thick elastic bandage.
I'm so sorry, James!
Gloves, stickers and new iPhone apps were a huge help.
8 comments:
Poor kid! At least he has a good story to share about how it happened. Show him the pictures of me in a body cast to let him know he will be alright.
The difference in outcomes for the two kiddos in mutton bustin' couldn't have been more different!
Ohh! So sad, but he will be better so quickly. My little brother broke the proximal humerus 15 years ago and did the same sling thing for a while and all was well. What is awesome is that the bone callus from the break is right under his bicep so ever since it healed any time he flexed for all of those teenage years he had a very impressive muscle bulge.
wow, so sad and thank goodness you listened to your instinct and took him in.
Oh Julie. I felt sort of sheepish as I laughed and laughed at the story, parts I and II. What a tale to tell! You and Ben are absolutely hilarious parents. What fun your kids are going to have when they're adults, recalling the memories of childhood that you so willingly gave them!
Miss you guys. Come to Philly.
That is one sad (guilt-inducing) face! James definitely earned his bike. For the record, I will not be taking your advice on Friday night entertainment for preschoolers.
Oh dear, that is the craziest, funniest (sorry James) story I have heard in a long time. You are so not the hovering parent type. I love it.
You poor things, both of you! He'll heal up fine, I'm sure. And so will you.
Sad! That look on his cute little face in the bottom picture breaks my heart! At least you guys will have a story to tell for years to come...
Post a Comment