Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Kate and James can read!

Turns out both my five-year-olds can read! Who knew?

A day or so after Christmas, as I was organizing a few things, I cam across some beginning reading books I purchased some time ago. I handed one to Kate and one to James to see what they could do. I knew they had a handle on the sounds letters make and we have spelled a few three-letter words in the car as we're driving here and there, but I wasn't sure how all this would translate to written words on the page. It translated very well. Both of them sounded out the words to the first five books in the series. All of this was far more exciting to me than it was to them. James was willing to read a book for each of his grandma's. Kate indulged, but only begrudgingly and as fast as she could, which meant guessing several of the words after looking at the first letter and the picture. That's Kate. Way to go, Smarties!

No comments: