Saturday, March 14, 2009
Econcomic Stimulus - doing our part.
Last Saturday Ben and I went to the State fair grounds to check out the bike swap I'd seen advertised during the previous week. I had hoped to find a cheap bike (as in I took $100 bucks out of the ATM on the way) I could use for commuting to work and back. My idea of a "swap" and the reality of the event were not aligned. Ben and I each left with a bike. New bikes. But, last season's, so they were discounted (ah, that's what they meant by "swap"). I went from the swap to a bike store and added a kids trailer, a helmet, a basket, two locks, and a bike pump to the day (which, by the way had already included a trip to the grocery store - cha ching - and before its end, added a stop at Costco - cha ching, cha ching). At the end of the day, the following thoughts made me feel good (less bad?) about my spending. 1. We did our part to help the American economy. 2. We needed most of the food anyway. 3. I did get a commuter bike. 4. Exercise is important. 5. Hours and hours of family time to come. 6. We need another trailer for any serious riding. 7. We're going to need a rack on our van if we want to ride anywhere other than our neighborhood. 8. Can't wait to go for another ride.
James on his trike (that he's too big for this year), Dad with Kate and Robert in tow, and our friend Dave in town for a visit.
Kate thinks this is the way to ride a bike. Robert was fairly oblivious to the whole affair. I also read since that a kid is supposed to be a year old before riding in one of these and that kids are supposed to wear a helmet while riding. Hmm. I don't think I can wait five more months to take Robert along again. If we ride slowly, on paved roads, is he okay?
James taking a break.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Andy started biking to work last month and he loves it. He says he already feels so much more energy too. The kiddie trailer looks like a fun idea!
Post a Comment