Saturday, June 4, 2011

soccer season ends

James and Kate played their last game of the Spring soccer season this morning. They looked forward to each practice and game with excitement. I think the best moment of the season happened last week when Kate scored her first goal. She wanted to score a goal so badly. She mentioned it constantly and even had me take her to practice extra one evening. She got close a few times before, but couldn't quite finish the drive or kicked just wide of the goal. When she finally scored, she immediately looked over to Ben and me. Then, while the teams were reorganizing for kick-off, she ran over to us, gave Ben a high five, then jumped on my lap with a giant smile and hug. I think I might have been almost as excited as she was.

They had a fantastic coach, Suzi Grant. She made practices a lot of fun by making games out of all the skills they were learning. Robert normally played at a playground at the same park during practices, but eventually wanted to play soccer with James and Kate. The coach noticed and invited him to practice with the team the last two practices. Robert felt so big and loved every minute. He can't want to play on a team himself. I'm hopeful we'll find one in the Fall for him. I'm hoping a summer camp James and Kate are going to participate in will let him join the three-year-old camp. He'll be a month shy of three at the time of the camp. Lie on the application or hope they'll give permission???

2 comments:

tenacious d said...

I can see it now--Senate hearing, 2016: Sir, I see here that your wife lied about your son's age to get him into day camp the summer of 2011. Do you have anything to say about that?

Becki said...

Yay Kate!! Glad the season was a success! Sad we didn't make it to a game :(