Ben had a work conference in St. George that we worked in to the end of our trip. While Ben was working, I took the kids swimming. They both had on life jackets. James ventured out as far as he could touch. Kate stayed on the first step or two. Both keeping within their comfort zones.Eventually, James stepped out beyond where his feet could touch and began to panic a bit. "Mom, Mom, help me!" Kate heard his cry, immediately left the safety of her steps, started swimming toward him, and called out, "I'll save ya, James!"
Kate managed to grab a hold of the "handle strap" at the top of James' life jacket and started kicking. James secured himself to the same strap on the top of Kate's jacket and he also started kicking. Their combined efforts resulted in the the two of them kicking in opposite directions (feet to the other's head). They basically swam around in a circle that slowly drifted to the side of the pool where I could reach one of them and pull the spinning duo to the safety of the shallow.
Of course, since they both had life jackets on, they were never really in any danger. But, in their world, the danger was real. James was scared. Kate, who hadn't wanted to leave the steps for her own swimming pleasure, didn't hesitate for a moment when her brother called out for help. It was one of the sweetest, most selfless acts I've witnessed. Kate has always been quick to help James -- making sure she gets a cookie for him if she's getting one, that sort of thing -- but leaving her comfort zone and putting herself in "danger", that's something else. What a wonderful, sweet, special soul.
4 comments:
Truly a breathtaking photo but the story is PRICELESS!
Oh! That is just the sweetest thing! I can't even be more articulate in describing my admiration of Kate and her amazing, brave and selfless act. I hope that they continue to look out for each other.
She is just adorable every way you look at her! I think Daniel has a bit of a crush on her. He gets excited and says "Kake" (perhaps a new nickname?) everytime he sees a picture of her.
What a sweetheart. I love that story.
Great picture.
Post a Comment