Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


As luck would have it, Ben's family and my family are on the same every-other-year Thanksgiving Day schedule -- meaning all of my siblings are with their in-laws this year and so are Ben's. Next year we'll get to choose from two Turkey Day dinners, but this year we were on our own.

We filled our morning with play and a quick visit from cousins. Then we had a family hike to Ensign Peak. Although the view was hazy from the top, James and Kate were still able to make out some of their favorite SLC landmarks. Kate said her legs were too tired to walk down, so I suggested she get in the Baby Bjorn and I'd carry her down. I meant the idea to be a joke, but Kate loved the idea, actually still fit (sort-of), and I did end up carrying her two-thirds of the way down before I called it quits and made her walk the remaining distance.

Since I LOVE to spend the day (or even just an hour) in the kitchen, we decided to go out to eat for our Thanksgiving Day feast. We were able to get a reservation at Tuscany and enjoyed a lovely traditional dinner as a family, accompanied by Grandma McAdams. The absence of a lengthy clean-up process was notably appreciated.

After the dinner, we went to Grandma McAdams' house for dessert and were joined by a few more family members. It was a lovely day.

At dinner we talked about what we are thankful for. Kate is thankful for trains. James is thankful for train tracks. (Both are referring to the GeoTrain toy they have been enjoying since their birthday.) Dad is thankful for his family. Mom is thankful for Dad. Kate said that Robert is thankful for Mommy.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

How fun! I think I like that tradition going to a restaurant for dinner, especially like the no cleaning part!

di said...

"Since I LOVE to spend the day (or even just an hour) in the kitchen, we decided to go out to eat for our Thanksgiving Day feast"

bravo lady! the way i would do it...well, i just ordered FreshDirect to avoid any responsibility for possible GI side effects...

Sherri said...

Sounds great! I can't believe Kate in the Bjorn... I gave up carrying Daniel long ago!

tenacious d said...

It sounds like a lovely day all around, but don't you miss having leftovers?

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

No turkey leftovers?? No killer yams? No bacon-laced green beans??? I'd say travesty, but then again, no standing in a kitchen for 7 hours??? Nice.

Mindi said...

Cute. Happy Turkey day... less the clean up. Glad you had a nice meal. Every time we have tried going out we have regretted it- overpriced and disappointing... and somehow we press our luck again. We'll stay away from Vegas, so far we've been pretty unlucky.