Thursday, September 18, 2008

Swimming lessons

Summer is nearly over, but for some reason I decided to sign James and Kate up for swim lessons while I was on maternity leave. The session only lasted two weeks and the last day for today. It was actually a lot of fun for all of us. Unfortunately, in the short two weeks session the little Level I kids had three teachers -- not a good idea for those unsure of themselves in the water. I had to bribe Kate with a starburst at the end of each class if she stayed with her teacher the whole time. On the first day with each new teacher, the bribe was upped to two starbursts. Once she warmed up to the teacher, though, she had a great time. Her favorite part of lessons were the swimming games. Her favorite game was "Fishy in a Basket". Kate seemed to gain a lot of confidence in the water and James improved on some of the basic skills. I don't know when we'll make it swimming again, but I'm hoping some of the improvements will stick around until then.
On the way into Fairmont Aquatic Center.
The "meeting place" for Level I swimmers.
James in the ring for Fishy in a Basket. "Fishy in a basket, how ya gonna get out? Can't go over it, gotta go under it." (I'm not sure if those are all the words, but that's the version I hear in the car on the way home.)
James going under.
Kate going "under".
James diving -- sort of. He really just jumps to his teacher with a diving pose, but it's a start.

4 comments:

Mindi said...

I can't believe HOW big they are getting... and so fast! They are so dang cute! Looks like they had a nice summer... how are they liking (adjusting to) being a big brother/sister?

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Holy cow they are too cute! Swimming superstars. Next stop, the Olympics. Love the first pic poses in the suits. Adorable.

Leslie said...

How fun for your kids and some of what they learned will stick, I'm sure! The pic are adorable.

Sherri said...

So cute! Come visit us and we can go swimming anytime. The pictures of Robert are so cute, he is going to be so big next time I see him!

p.s. good luck at work tomorrow!