Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Potty Training Twins

What a joy. We've been at this for far too long. Kate and James love to take off their diapers -- regardless of the contents, so we really have no choice but to get them using the toilet. We've tried M&Ms, but James gets so excited to get his 2 little pieces of chocolate that he forgets to finish the job. We've tried reading books. We've tried playing with toys. Our latest idea (really our fantastic nanny's latest idea) is to take turns blowing bubbles while we wait for nature to take its course. Kate and James like this so much that they sit for so long they have a red ring around their tush before calling it quits. Both kids know what to do and they've done it a number of times, but are seriously lacking in consistency. Any of you out there with success at this have some suggestions for us?

20 comments:

nyclizzie said...

Advice. Keep the diapers on as long as you can unless you like cleaning poopy underwear. There you have it. That's my advice. Maybe you'll get lucky like me and have miracle child Wesley who potty trained himself at 2 1/2! Now that's nice!!! Good luck and keep posting. The picture is priceless and good blackmail.

Sherri said...

That is too funny! I miss those kids, they sure have minds of their own.

Sherri said...

Also, they are really looking like twins with their matching shirts!

Becki said...

Hahaha. No suggestions here, but I love the pictures! Good luck and let me know what finally does the trick cause I'll be there myself someday :)

emily said...

I wish I had the magic answer for you. We've been working on it since M was 18 months old. My sister just made a good suggestion though. She said to put panties on her and then put a pull up over the panties. This way she will still feel the wetness and discomfort if she pees and I won't be left with a puddle (or other more solid treat) to clean up.

Kristi said...

Such a fun stage of life! I don't envy you. I've found boys are much slower at toilet training than girls so maybe let James back off a bit. As for Kate, let her watch any other kids around her go and give lots of praise. (that worked for Hailey any way!) Good luck:)

o charm said...

gosh-- we started having milla sit at 18 mos. and she wasn't trained until 2 and 9 mos. very stubborn. and the more i focused on "go to the bathroom" "do you need to go?" etc etc the more she resisted. and i don't know if this is what did it or if it was coincidence, but it finally worked when a) i started giving her treats and b) i quit focusing on "let's go to the bathroom", and started focusing on "don't get your underwear wet". that shifted the responsibility to her. it was a long battle though, and like they all say, just wait until they want to--otherwise it's just miserable for all.

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Those kids crack me up! It was soooo great to see you guys!!! We miss you SO much! Good luck with the training. We'll be coming to YOU for the advice when it's our time. (Although, clearly we've triumphed over this potty training with Cody.)

Ben said...

Gosh Becki, I would have thought that at age 27 you were potty trained already. I hope you get there someday too! :)

Leslie said...

We did STICKERS and TREATS!! Every time they would go they get to pick a sticker and put on a a large card stock taped to back of the bathroom's door. If they pooped they got a special treat. But it's different with each child. My boys took longer to trained than Mya. Our boys were 3 1/2 before they were trained. We tried all the tricks and the pullups but what worked for them was putting undies. We went to the store and had the kids pick out their favorite undies, then we put them on. Plan to stay close at home and not go anyway for about a week but that's how our boys learned. On the other hand our daughter wanted to be trained. We were definitely not ready but like your kids, she would ripe off her diaper. She was trained with the stickers and special treats at 2 1/2. Good Luck and welcome to the trauma of Potty Training.

Jenny said...

What finally did it for Grant was being left in the nude for days on end. With nothing to pull off, the potty started seeming reasonable!
However, Jack?????????

Good luck! We wish we could get to know those two better... they sure are cute!

The Jackson Three said...

Sorry, no advice here....but those pictures are dang cute!

di said...

my 2 cents as a pediatrician without her own children: james and ben should hang out in the bathroom whenever ben has to go - yea, i'm having no mental images here...anyway, throw some cheerios in the toilet and james and his daddy can have a daily game of "dunk the cheerio."
for kate - throw a kiddo toilet down in the living room for access at all times - even when neighbors stop by for a visit - I'm having flashbacks when i went to say hello...a friend, also a pediatrician, swears this worked for their 2 girls...as neighbors, we thought it was a little freaky.

candice - i know you're reading this - give julie your 2 cents too! (or 2 dollars - for you "Better Off Dead" fans).
but i agree - "oh the joy."

Ashlee said...

We have no suggestions. We tried everything. We only knew that he couldn't wear diapers on his mission. It tooks us 9 months to potty train Jackson. He is that stubborn.

TnD said...

Don't train them quite yet. They are too cute on the potties with their bubbles.

birdie said...

I say duct tape the diapers shut during the night - not many kidlinks can pry themselves out of duct tape.

During the day, put on the undies and a diaper over the undies (to pick up spills) and duct tape the whole thing as needed.

I have a friend who swears by it. Seriously. Or maybe just duct tape the pottie to their bums (that's my idea).

Nancy said...

hahahahaha! i love it!

no suggestions. but it looks like you have plenty of 'em!

Joyce said...

Hey guys!
We got your Christmas card and loved reading about what you are up to. Congrats on the new job Ben. YOu always did make a better politician than me. Check out our blog at: http://thefarns.blogspot.com/
I am still sad you guys decided to go to UTah instead of London...

Love, Joyce and Charles Farnsworth

Lisa said...

Hey Julie, I love it, I wish I did have some suggestions - just bring extra undies and pants everywhere you go! : )

Unknown said...

Aura (Ben's Aunt from Seattle)

Read "Potty Training in one day" I followed those instructions and of course it was not done in one day but in one week it worked. It also worked that I kept some candy and sticker in the can in the bathroom and used the timer. Eventually, they will get it. If they can ask for milk, they can ask to go potty.