Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

This is the "on" year for both the Judds and the McAdams. That means it's double the turkey, double the stuffing, double the pie. Yum! And, yum again! I made candied yams for both family meals. I have an awesome recipe from Laurel and my yams were a hit. (Yea! and sigh of relief.) I also made a lemon cream pie for the McAdams' meal. (Not so great. Bummer.) The best part was that Kate helped me cook. She did a lot of work on the yams and helped with the pie crust. It was fun to wear an apron with her and cook away. She even helped dry some of the dishes!

In addition to cooking, eating, and hanging out with family, I took some time this holiday weekend to think about some of the things I'm thankful for.

First, no surprise, is my family. My husband and my kids, my parents, my siblings, in-laws, nieces & nephews. I can't imagine my life without Ben, Kate, James and Robert. This year, Ben has taught me that hard work and perseverance can pay off. Kate brings loads of joy and laughter to our home and keep us all on our toes. James inspires us all to be creative, to build things, and to play together. Robert makes sure we all get daily hugs and helps me relax each evening as I rock him to sleep.
Good friends are also at the top of the list. I wish we lived closer to many and wish we got together with them all more frequently.

Good health. We've got a lot of balls to keep in the air. When any one of us comes down with anything, the balls start falling. We've had some minor coughs and a few runny noses around here, but, for the most part, we're staying pretty healthy.

Our new house. We've been here more than six months now. Some updating would be nice, but no rush. It's a good house. A spacious house. Sometimes its a clean house. It's almost always a happy house.

Great neighbors. Welcoming, friendly, helpful, warm. Love them.

Great jobs. I love that Ben loves his job. His hobby is his work. Or is it that his work is his hobby? Anyway, a happy husband means a happy family. My job is also pretty great. Great co-workers, great clients, forgiving & flexible schedule.

I'm thankful for God and religion in my life. I recognize that everything listed above is a gift from God, and I thank Him. My religious beliefs help me make sense of the world and my place in it. I'm grateful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Mindi said...

happy thanksgiving! we sure are thankful to call you guys friends! what a great family photo too! snow?! so pretty.

tenacious d said...

Is that going to be your Christmas card photo? It's perfect.